QUESTION TEXT: With which one of the following statements…
DISCUSSION: This is another detail question. You do need some memory for details. I realize I seem like I’m contradicting myself. Here’s how I approach details. I don’t remember specific stuff. But I do remember some general things. Here was my thought process on each answer:
- A. Did we know why the program ended? I don’t think so.
- B. Do we know much about the Harlem Renaissance? No, and it’s mentioned near the start of the second paragraphs if I have to check.
- C. Was there diversity? That sounds familiar.
- D. Did the passage mention the theater of today? No.
- E. Did the passage mention audience reaction/popularity? No.
I then checked C against the passage. I also skimmed relevant sections to make sure the other answers weren’t addressed. I skimmed the first paragraph for A, the start of the second for B. D and E I didn’t bother skimming, since I knew they weren’t discussed.
- We have no idea. The passage doesn’t say why the theater program ended.
(From outside knowledge, it probably ended because WWII started in 1939, and the US joined in 1941. You don’t need to know that though.)
- We have no idea. The Harlem Renaissance is only mentioned in lines 21-24. The author never says how polarized the Harlem Renaissance community was.
- CORRECT. Lines 42-44 say this directly.
- The passage never discusses the African-American theater today. So we have no idea: maybe the Negro Units were so excellent that their work has never been surpassed.
- The passage never says which plays were popular.
Need help with RC? → Try the RC Mastery Seminar
Solve hard passages quickly