QUESTION TEXT: Navigation in animals is defined as the…
QUESTION TYPE: Weaken
CONCLUSION: Some naturalists claim that polar bears can navigate over considerable distances. (Navigation is: going from an unfamiliar to a familiar area….an area that is so far away that it is beyond the animal’s senses.)
REASONING: The naturalists point out that a polar bear has returned to its home territory after being released over 500 miles away.
ANALYSIS: The argument hasn’t shown that the home territory was beyond the polar bear’s senses. It’s also possible that the bear was released in familiar territory that was not its home territory.
- That’s normal for someone trying to figure out their way home.
- CORRECT. This shows that the site was on familiar territory. Navigation has to be from unfamiliar territory.
- This tells us about the route but it doesn’t tell us anything about navigation.
- This strengthens the argument by offering other examples.
- This explains how bears get home. It doesn’t weaken the argument.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions