DISCUSSION: This question gives us no hints, so you just have to look at the answers and think about which is the most likely. Then check to see if you can confirm it in the passage.
Don’t focus on any of the answers until you look at all of them. Your goal should be to start at the most likely answer.
- We’re never told the outcome of the United Farm Workers’ labour action. Perhaps they failed.
- Only Váldez is mentioned in connection with the San Francisco Mime Troupe.
- CORRECT. The key here is “earliest efforts”. When an answer includes a reference like this, you must ask “which efforts were the earliest we know of?”
We know of the grape boycott in lines 5-8. The grape boycott had occurred “by 1965”, which means “before 1965”. So this happened before Váldez approached Chávez about making a theatre, in 1965 (lines 8-12).
- We’re never told if there were English performances.
- We’re never told about any critical reactions to the Teatro Campesino.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions