DISCUSSION: Before answering this type of question, you should look at the section describing the critics’ views. That’s on lines 46-50.
The critics say that people move to suburbs because they want the lifestyle cars make possible, and because they enjoy driving.
So the crux of their argument is that people choose to move to the suburbs. To weaken their argument, we should weaken this idea of choice.
None of the wrong answers tell us anything about people who live in the suburbs! I don’t spend time explaining them, because there’s nothing to explain. To weaken the critics’ argument about “people who live in the suburbs”, we need information about people who live in the suburbs!
- This tells us nothing about why people go to the suburbs. It talks about people in central areas.
- This tells us nothing about the people who go to the suburbs. Instead it talks about people in small towns.
- Again, this tells us nothing about people who live in the suburbs. It tells us about people who don’t!
- CORRECT. The critics said people move to suburbs because they enjoy driving. This answer instead says that people move to suburbs because suburbs are cheap.
- Duh. Most people don’t care about zoning laws. But that doesn’t mean zoning laws have no effect. And this tells us nothing about people who live in the suburbs!
Want advanced RC strategies? → Try the RC Mastery Seminar
Graeme shows how 170+ scorers do RC in real time. Satisfaction guaranteed!