QUESTION TEXT: It can be inferred from the passage that the…
DISCUSSION: Paragraph 2 discusses the weakness of the current rules. On this type of question you should reread or reskim the paragraph first to prephrase the weakness. This will let you move through the answers very quickly.
- Actually, line 12 says the guidelines are vague, not rigid.
- Nonsense. Judges could very well make their reasoning transparent, and withdraw if there was the appearance of bias.
The author doesn’t think the second bit is necessary if there is transparency, but the two ideas certainly aren’t incompatible.
- CORRECT. Lines 22-24 say pretty much exactly this.
- There’s no conflict. Professional codes are only mentioned on line 3, to specify that codes focus on the appearance of impropriety.
The passage never says whether a statute could place a judge in conflict with a professional code. If the passage had said that, it would be in paragraph 1 – but that information simply isn’t there.
- This is silly. You don’t get to disqualify a judge merely because you request it. No legal system would ever make such a ridiculous guarantee. You have to prove your point before a judge will withdraw.
Need help with RC? → Try the RC Mastery Seminar
Solve hard passages quickly