QUESTION TEXT: The use of space-based satellites to study…
QUESTION TYPE: Principle – Must be True
CONCLUSION: It is not surprising that environmentalists ignore the fact that spacecraft may damage the ozone layer.
REASONING: Spaceflights have helped advance the cause of environmentalism.
ANALYSIS: We humans are really good at rationalizing. If we like doing something that causes a problem then we are very good at ignoring or explaining away the problem.
- CORRECT. If something benefits you then you can easily rationalize away the downside.
- This would be what an environmentalist could say in response.
- Same as B. An environmentalist aware of the possible harm could make this point.
- The stimulus didn’t say that the problems are worse than the benefits. It just said that spacecraft may cause problems and environmentalists ignore that possibility.
- These consequences are not unforeseen. First, they haven’t happened yet. A consequence is something that has happened. Second, we can foresee them. The stimulus says spacecraft may cause harm.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions