QUESTION TEXT: Which one of the following most accurately…
QUESTION TYPE: Point at Issue
ARGUMENTS: Juan argues that the presence of professional athletes violates the spirit of fairness essential to the Olympics. Amateur athletes rarely have the resources to compete with professionals.
Michiko argues that professionals should be allowed. The idea of the modern Olympics is to showcase the world’s best athletes.
ANALYSIS: The two of them are arguing about the modern Olympics. They disagree about the purpose. Juan emphasizes fairness. Michiko emphasizes that we want the best athletes to compete.
- CORRECT. Michiko thinks it is fine to let professionals compete. Juan thinks that letting professionals compete is against the spirit of the modern games.
You might think Juan only believes it is against the spirit of the ancient games. But if that were true then he wouldn’t be complaining about the modern games.
- Michiko doesn’t express an opinion on the ancient games so she cannot disagree.
- Technically neither of them says whether the Olympic athletes actually are the world’s finest. It’s possible that for some reason the world’s finest aren’t competing even though professionals are allowed.
- Juan says they don’t. Michiko doesn’t express an opinion.
- Neither of them mentions what governments do.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions