DISCUSSION: The main idea is that the researchers in the first paragraph are wrong. Native Americans did frequently change forests before Columbus arrived.
- This gets the emphasis backwards. It should be ‘despite the claims of some scholars, forests were burnt’.
- Scholars don’t all agree! The very first paragraph gives us two scholars who disagree.
- CORRECT. The scholars are in the first paragraph, and the evidence is given in paragraphs 2 and 3.
- Actually, the scholars in the first paragraph still disagree. The passage doesn’t prove it’s point by citing “general agreement”. It presents evidence to argue with the scholars.
- This ignores the fact that scholars in the first paragraph don’t think there was much burning (lines 9-10). That was the disagreement.
Need help with RC? → Try the RC Mastery Seminar
Solve hard passages quickly