DISCUSSION: The main idea is that sociologists have to consider how individuals influence society and how society influences individuals.
- This sounds like nonsense, and probably is. Best not to spend too much time on this type of answer until you look at the rest.
But you can conclusively disprove it. No one said structuring can’t be applied. Abrams’ main criticism was that sociologists didn’t seem to be aware of structuring. That’s clear from the first paragraph. They can’t argue against structuring if they aren’t aware of it.
- This is only half of Abrams’ argument. He also said that individuals influence society.
- Sounds good, but this is way off. Abrams argued social structures and individuals influenced each other. This says social structures and history.
- CORRECT. Lines 4-8 say that sociologists focus on each of these, but rarely together. Abrams argues we must study both processes at once.
- Abrams criticizes sociologists. See lines 8-12. He thinks they need to study how people affect society and how society affects people.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions