DISCUSSION: The passage mentioned a few ways that Shostak’s ethnography differed from traditional ethnography.
Your job is to find an answer choice that mentions one of those ways, and then confirm it using specific lines from the passage.
- The !Kung are the only group mentioned.
- Shostak does study individuals’ experiences. But she seems to be studying Nisa within the cultural context of Nisa’s group. She doesn’t view Nisa apart from the !Kung.
- Same as B. Shostak tells Nisa’s story along with the story of the !Kung. They are intertwined.
- We’re not told whether Shostak used empirical data (evidence) in her study or whether she made many general hypotheses about the !Kung. Nisa mainly seems to be the story of one !Kung woman’s life.
- CORRECT. See lines 4-7. Shostak is not following ethnographic convention: ethnography focusses on anonymous, general statements. Shostak is instead focussing on the personal story of Nisa.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions