QUESTION TEXT: Science teacher: In any nation, a flourishing…
QUESTION TYPE: Most Strongly Supported
Successful Economy –> Flourishing Science –> young people excited about science –> good communication
Good Communication –> Young people excited about science –> flourishing science –> successful economy
ANALYSIS: I normally don’t draw “most strongly supported” questions, but this one is conditional. All the statements in the stimulus can be connected.
It’s important to remember what your diagram means. There is a time element to these statements. A successful economy requires an active flourishing community. An active flourishing community requires that past young people were once excited. A community might continue to flourish for a while even if current youth are bored with science.
- This is a mistaken reversal of the final sentence.
- “Depends principally”? We know excited young people are a necessary condition, but they may not be the main one.
Something can be a necessary condition without being the principal necessary condition.
- CORRECT. This follows from the logical chain I drew in the “Facts” section. A successful economy leads to good communication. That means there was good communication at some point in the past, since that led to past young people getting interested in science and forming the current scientific community.
- The stimulus only says that “many” youth must resolve to become scientists. This answer says “most” youth must actually become scientists. That’s far stronger. Resolving to do something doesn’t mean you’ll do it, and many is not most.
- Nonsense. Good communication was only mentioned as a factor necessary for encouraging youth to want to become scientists. It’s possible that an individual scientific project can succeed without good communication.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions