DISCUSSION: Passage B’s explanation is in lines 52-61: atrophied muscles may retain the extra nuclei they gained when they were larger.
So, this is a physical change. Whereas passage A’s explanations were:
- Ability to recruit more neurons
- Mental experience
- CORRECT. See lines 52-61. This is exactly what passage B says, whereas passage A doesn’t mention stem cells.
- Both passages mention this. Passage A mentions adaptation via neuron recruitment. Passage B mentions adaptation by adding nuclei.
- Only passage A mentions psychological factors. We’re looking for something in passage B but not in A.
- This is a trap. Scientists used to think that apoptosis killed the extra nuclei in muscles. But passage B cites evidence that this doesn’t happen. See lines 52-61.
- This is passage A’s explanation. We’re looking for something passage B suggests, but which passage A doesn’t.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions