DISCUSSION: Bearden’s two dominant traits were:
- Stylistic innovations.
- Painting the African-American experience in all of its individual complexity.
Bearden used innovative styles to show how African-Americans lived during the depression.
- This is contradicted by line 50: Bearden focussed on poetry.
- CORRECT. Lines 35-40 show this is true. Bearden used color to show the pain that resulted from the policies in place during the Great Depression.
- We’re not told whether Bearden thought subject matter was more important than style. He seemed to use style to support subject matter. (lines 38-40)
- Bearden did show injustice. See paragraph 2: he showed African-Americans who suffered because of the great depression.
- Bearden opposed those techniques. See lines 46-48.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions
Leave a Reply