QUESTION TEXT: Astronomer: Does a recent meteorite from Mars…
QUESTION TYPE: Flawed Reasoning
CONCLUSION: Tagar is wrong.
REASONING: Swiderski and Terrada disagree with Tagar.
ANALYSIS: You don’t need to know anything about bacteria to answer this question. The science is just there to scare you.
The argument is simple. The author says that Tagar is wrong because some other scientists disagree with him. It’s a silly argument. The author hasn’t shown why we should believe those other scientists. Maybe they are wrong and Tagar is right.
- The argument doesn’t say how long those scientists have held their views. Why would it matter? People are allowed to change their minds.
- CORRECT. Maybe Tagar is a more credible expert, and we should believe him.
- The argument didn’t say that the two scientists were right because they outnumber Tagar.
- Swiderski and Terrada agree with each other. There’s no contradiction.
- This is silly. The author clearly believes that Tagar’s opinion is less justified (i.e. he’s wrong)
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions