QUESTION TEXT: In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C.,…
QUESTION TYPE: Strengthen
CONCLUSION: The historians say that the decline in wheat production was due to too much irrigation, not enough drainage and buildup of salt in the soil.
ANALYSIS: There is no reasoning given for the hypothesis. So we just have to find some that shows that salt was the main problem.
- The problem was too much salt, not lack of water. The land was actually over-irrigated.
- CORRECT. If salt was the problem, then this explains why barley did better than wheat.
- This tells us a fact about barley production but it doesn’t explain why barley overtook wheat.
- This weakens the theory that salt was the cause.
- This confirms the idea that barley took over but it doesn’t help us conclude that salt was the problem.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions