QUESTION TEXT: The druid stones discovered in Ireland are…
QUESTION TYPE: Flawed Reasoning
CONCLUSION: This druid stone discovered in Scotland must be recent.
REASONING: The druid stones discovered in Ireland are old.
ANALYSIS: This is a silly argument. The fact that Irish druid stones are old doesn’t mean that only Irish druid stones are old.
- Old always means the same thing: made a long time ago.
- The argument doesn’t even use a word that means “most.”
- This isn’t circular reasoning. There is (bad) evidence presented: the stone is Scottish, not Irish.
- The argument is making a claim about the present, not the future. It’s talking about how old the stone is, right now.
- CORRECT. The argument assumes that only Irish stones are old because all Irish stones are old. But Scottish druid stones could be old too.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions