QUESTION TEXT: Large-scale government projects designed to benefit everyone-such…
QUESTION TYPE: Necessary Assumption
CONCLUSION: Government by referendum is worse for society.
REASONING: Big government projects usually benefit special interest groups the most, at first. Big projects are less likely to receive funding if power is equally distributed.
ANALYSIS: The argument is assuming that infrastructure projects are good, even if they benefit small groups at first.
- CORRECT. If large projects never improve society then its not clear why there would be a disadvantage to government by referendum.
- The argument hasn’t shown that large scale projects will occur at all if the government doesn’t do them.
- The argument doesn’t make any claims about the democratic process.
- It doesn’t matter what the purpose of equal distribution of power is. It only matters that enhanced welfare will be not be an effect.
- It doesn’t matter if there are other ways. The argument just claims that this particular way will reduce welfare.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions