QUESTION TEXT: Curator: Since ancient times, the fine arts…
QUESTION TYPE: Necessary Assumption
CONCLUSION: Governments must finance art.
REASONING: Previously aristocrats and religious institutions financed art. Now societies should be stewards of cultural heritage without the help of aristocrats and religious institutions.
ANALYSIS: The argument doesn’t explicitly make a link between cultural heritage and the fine arts. We tend to take that as a given, but the right answer makes it explicit as a necessary assumption.
- The argument is telling us what to do now. This answer choice addressed what we should have done in the past.
- It isn’t necessary that private support becomes unnecessary. It only has to be true that private support from aristocrats and religious institutions becomes unnecessary.
- This doesn’t matter, because the argument is saying we shouldn’t depend on them even if they are willing.
- CORRECT. If this isn’t true then we could fulfill our obligations as cultural stewards without funding the arts.
- This would support the conclusion, but it doesn’t have to be true that government support is necessary in every era. We’re only concerned with what to do in our own era.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions