DISCUSSION: All the answers talk about a woman, so that doesn’t help narrow things down. Remember that “social group” is for someone who doesn’t fall under the categories listed in lines 6-8.
We’re looking for someone being persecuted because she is a woman.
- This person isn’t facing discrimination because she is poor. She may not even be facing discrimination (unequal treatment). Maybe almost everyone is poor and starving in that country.
- Racial discrimination is explicitly prohibited, so there’s no reason for this women to apply under “social group”.
- Religious discrimination is explicitly prohibited, see lines 6-8.
- CORRECT. She is facing persecution for being part of a social group. Because she is a woman and is standing up for herself, she faces discrimination.
- Political discrimination is explicitly prohibited, see lines 6-8.
Want a free Reading Comp lesson?
Get a free sample of the Reading Comprehension Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving RC questions