QUESTION TEXT: Mark's and Carla's positions indicate that they…
QUESTION TYPE: Point At Issue
ARGUMENTS: Mark argues that we need to see history as it was experienced by individuals.
Carla argues that we will lose all objectivity if we try to view history from an individual standpoint.
ANALYSIS: They disagree on whether we ought to view history from an individual perspective (Mark) or whether we should take a broad view (Carla.)
- They both talk about understanding past events. But they disagree on what method we should use for understanding.
- Participants might have an objective view of the ramifications (consequences) of the events. (i.e. “if we lose/win this battle, the country will be conquered.”) That’s different from having an objective view of the events themselves. Carla and Mark disagree on the latter point only.
- Carla agrees we could do this but thinks that the picture would be distorted.
- CORRECT. Carla says no, we should make broad, objective statements. Mark says yes.
- Neither of them says whether we should make stuff up.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions