QUESTION TEXT: Which one of the following principles, if…
QUESTION TYPE: Principle – Strengthen
CONCLUSION: Salvador concludes that buying old ivory will increase the demand for new ivory.
REASONING: There isn’t enough old ivory to meet demand. Some people buy new ivory instead. (Presumably if there were even more demand for old ivory then more people would have to switch to new ivory)
ANALYSIS: Some people buy new ivory only because they can’t get old ivory. These people don’t care about elephants. Let’s call them “ivory fans”.
If fewer people buy old ivory, then there will be more old ivory for “ivory fans” to buy, and they won’t buy so much new ivory.
Salvador doesn’t care about the motives of “ivory fans”. If he can free up old ivory for them to buy then elephants will be saved.
So anyone who does care about elephants should stop buying old ivory. This will indirectly reduce ivory fans’ demand for new ivory.
- Salvador doesn’t talk about spreading knowledge. He just says not to buy any ivory.
- We don’t know if acceptable substitutes are available.
- Salvador is arguing that we shouldn’t purchase old ivory either (an object in existence at the time the species became endangered.)
- We have no evidence that workers will engage in restraint.
- CORRECT. Salvador’s plan is aimed at reducing the damage other do to elephants. He wants fewer people to buy new ivory, even if they don’t care about elephants.
If people who do care about elephants stop buying old ivory, then people who don’t care about elephants will buy the old ivory instead. This will spare elephants.
Free Logical Reasoning lesson
Get a free sample of the Logical Reasoning Mastery Seminar. Learn tips for solving LR questions
Leave a Reply